Monday, March 19, 2012

Assignment 2__Steven

1. Yes, I believe that students should take ethics or religion courses in school. The reason for that is because we’re now in a process of globalization, and so it is important for us to have knowledge of ethics and religion. By taking ethics and religion courses, students can learn how to respect to others, and respect what other people believe. Yet I do believe that the teaching shouldn’t include too much detail, maybe just knowledge in general, so that it will not affect students’ beliefs and cause problems.

2. Yes, learning other religions help people to understand others from a different backgrounds or cultures because religions is always linked and connected to cultures. For example, almost every religion has a story, and the story normally demonstrates the way people think and believe in that region.

3. I feel it is necessary for students to study religion in school.

4. By taking ethics and religion courses, students will benefit from learning how to respect others and their ideas. It’s a great chance for students to understand other cultures and their backgrounds. However, the drawback is that if the teaching contains too much detail, then it might affect the way student is thinking. Moreover, creating problem because their parents might not want this to happen, since it might change the family’s idea and/or believes.

1 comment:

  1. 1. I believe that there'd be no problem learning religions or ethics in schools because I go to a Catholic School although I'm not Catholic, but I've got no problems at all. Unless an individual is an atheist, I think that most people wouldn't feel distracted or anything at all with the idea of religion or ethics course.

    2. I definitely think so. I don't think that learning other religions would make me learn every last bits of information, but it can at least give me minimum amount of information, so I would be swirled into the world of stereotypes. I'd love to know why Muslim women are wearing those toques or something every day, or why Jewish people have bands or tattoos on their arms.

    3. As I have already stated on the first question, I have no problems with it. I think it is necessary, because it gives us a lot of teachings and life lessons that we should keep in mind until the day of our death.

    4. Let's start with the pros. The pros would be that students would learn how to be polite and respect others, as it is an ultimate goal of every single religion. It'd also be that students might be acknowledged of behaving, regarding a so-called "time and place." On the flip side of it, a negative effect would be that students would have to sacrifice their time spending not to finish their homework but going to masses or something, not to mention, for example, on Sundays, that all Catholics are recommended to go to the Church in order to pray.

    ReplyDelete